Wednesday 11 August 2010

*Recipe - Apricot and Almond Bars*

I recently purchased September's issue of "Cook Vegetarian", I've always thumbed through the magazine but never actually bought it, got it home and used it. Although some of the recipes aren't really for the weight watching person I thought I could adapt the recipes to lower pointed substitutes or those particular ones out altogether.


When I got it home I immediately notice how informative it was and was exposed to lots new and different vegetarian alternatives there are - before this I only ever used four different brands. So thumbs up to the people over at "Cook Vegetarian" for a excellent piece of information, I can't wait until the next issue.



Moving on to the recipe...

Apricot and Almond Bars-


Ingredients: (I changed a few of the ingredients as I either didn't have them or could not find them at the store)

3 Oranges
225g Chopped Dried Apricots
125g Dried Apricots
70g Almonds
225g Porridge oats
13g Baking Powder
112g Plain Flour
25g Sunflower Seeds
100g Light Marg



First I blitzed the almonds and marg to make a paste. I then blended the peeled oranges and whole dried apricots together with the almond and marg paste.


I then added the mixture to my flour and baking powder, as well as the remaining ingredients.


I mixed them all together (I did try to use a spoon but found it best to use my hands)


I spooned it into my baking tray and smoothed it down.

I baked my mixture for 25 minutes on 170c fan assisted (if not 190c) until golden brown.

Whilst still warm I cut my bar into 16 pieces totalling 3.5points each.


I did think they were nice however I will be baking these again but changing the ingredients slightly.

Amendments will be:

  • Leave out the sunflower seeds
  • Use sultanas rather than apricots (and less of them)
  • Use flaked almonds and don't blend them
  • Either use brown sugar or a sweetener
If I made the changes the recipe would calculate to two points per bar (if cut into 16)

Have a try and see what you think. Would you make any changes?

Bye for now,

Roo xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment