Thursday 20 May 2010

*What am I eating for?*

This may seem like a strange topic at first but its one I've thought about for a while. It all started about 2 months ago when I had a huge binge as a result of poor planning and was stuffing item after item of food into my mouth. Half way through a biscuit I thought to myself, this really doesn't taste that good. Cramming a few more in I thought to myself, yea this really doesn't taste nice at all and after shoveling another two into my mouth I stopped and thought what the hell am I doing? At this point I had already eaten nearly 3/4 of the packet, yes your reading that right, 3/4 of a packet of biscuits that I didn't actually like!

This led me onto to thinking about food choices and binges. I admit now that I have a number of binges under my belt (of should I say hanging over my belt?) yet more often than not I'm actually consuming food that I don't even like. Why on earth would anyone in their right mind consume something they didn't like? On a simplistic level I wouldn't eat dogs food so what is it that's stopping me from eating it apart from knowing its socially unacceptable. With that I thought about when I was younger.

From the age of around 5 until the age of 14 I was very fussy with what I ate. I would never try anything new and lived off of eating pasta and jacket potatoes. So what was it that I possessed that enabled me to say no to so many foods. I know that since then I have tasted and tried a number of new foods and I have heard that your taste does change over time but I can't help but think that if I was able to tap into that part of me that stopped myself from eating foods I didn't like and used it now, not only for stopping myself from eating something I didn't like but also to say enough is enough I'm not eating vast amounts of a particular food anymore I would be much more successful in my journey.

Since my health scare I have definitely looked at food differently and have questioned is this good for my body, is it providing fuel and nutrients to me or is it something that is not doing either of these things and is just a "I like the taste of it so I will eat it" food. With that I can see my desire to restrict certain foods coming back. I am not stating that denying yourself of certain foods is healthy however I really do believe that moderation is the key here which is something I haven't always been able to get my head around.

As of today I will be tweeting what I eat on a Thursday, if you would like to follow me please do.

Have a fab day!

ROO xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment